Family Posts

Monday, May 13, 2013

Grandma's Funeral


As much as she loved Christmastime, when I think of Grandma J, I think of spring. Her birthday is April 23, and as we celebrated her life at her viewing and funeral, the flowers of springtime seemed fitting. She loved being outside, sitting on a lawn chair laughing. Grandma Margaret Alice O'Neil Johnson was a spunky woman, who was always buying things for a grandchild, and then buying twenty more so everyone could have whatever it was. We gathered around her for family events, and over a month later, I still want to stop by for a visit because I forget she's not there. My great-uncle, Kim, spoke at her funeral, sharing a poem he wrote from her perspective about her sons- and daughters-in-law.
To My Children In Law
You never will be good enough,
Please try to understand.
And be the best you can.
My children are all important to me,
Beside them you're not tall enough to stand.
But please be the best you can.
 
In one thing you've done all right.
In grand kids you've done just fine.
When they're grown and married,
You'll begin to understand.
So in the here and now,
Please be the best you can.
 
We tend to be more critical of those close and dear,So just get over it.
And be the best you can.
 
Written by:
Kim J. Johnson
April 2013 















No comments:

Post a Comment