Family Posts

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Shots



V got a shot at the hospital when she was born. We recently went to our new doctor's office, where the nurses kept saying, "Look at all of that hair!"and the doctor insisted, "I could just take you home!" She measured a healthy size and weight, after changing her wet diaper. I had her wrapped in a blanket after stripping her down, but took it off when immunization time came. She did quite well drinking the rotavirus vaccine, didn't spit up a single bit. The shots were somewhat less enjoyable. With a nurse putting pressure on each leg, they timed the first shots to go at the same time. She had one more on her right leg, and then with her pink character bandages applied, I scooped her into my arms. She cried for about a minute, but by the time we got to the car, she was smiling and laughing in her adorable cough-like way again. She's my little warrior. One nurse pointed out that as they get a little older and more aware, infants and toddlers dread the office and shots more and more. Fortunately, V's not to that point yet, but I think next time I'll try to be more gentle, using oil or something, when ripping off her bandages.

Zak and I reminisced about our kindergarten shots experiences. I remember dragging my leg around at the baby shower Mom was given while pregnant with my first brother, and being in a lot of pain. Zak apparently built a make-shift crutch and woefully revealed to his Mom, "I have a bone in my leg."

Nicole and sister, Cassie
Zak

No comments:

Post a Comment