Family Posts

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cove Mountain Cabin

Zak was sent home a few hours early from work last Friday, so I asked if he wanted to take a spontaneous camping trip and show me his grandparents' rustic cabin.  He used to go there every year or so, staying in a tent or a hammock nearby if they had a big reunion.


He showed me some of the forts the male cousins built around the forest.  His brother, Cohen, also started a stone bridge.  They worked quite a bit for recreation it seems.


We had fun on the forest trails with rocks and puddles in Beefy.


I met Grandpa Porter's brother, Gary.

We wondered about the property, which is split between the Chritiansens and Porters.  Dad told us that they homesteaded the 300 acre property three generations ago (or so) to use for timber, herding, and recreation.  So I don't think they ever paid for the land, it just became theirs.  Grandpa, Dad, and Zak's uncles built the cabin around the early 1980s.

Several family members have left marks on nearby trees.

Zak watercoloring at Deep Lake




We got to use our Camp Chef for the first time, and eat s'mores! (Ok, I ate the s'mores).

Because he knew I would appreciate it, Zak took me to the Richfield City Cemetery to visit his Grandma, Aunt, and Cousin.  I found out, while still a young boy, he'd drawn the hands for his Grandma's headstone, and the rose for his Aunt's headstone.


Zak's Grandma Porter

Zak's Aunt Jamie*

Zak's cousin, Jordan*

After we married, I heard Zak and I got married on the anniversary of Jordan's death.  I found out from the headstone we actually weren't.  Their family went through quite a bit in ten years.

*To protect those still living, I blocked out some names and dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment