Family Posts

Friday, December 13, 2019

Christmas Shopping and Caroling

We really enjoy getting an ornament off of a giving tree to donate to families who could use something. Our congregation is no longer providing the ornaments with requested items, so we found some at the county library. I think a lot of people like buying presents and clothes for little ones, so we try to find an ornament for an older teen. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up the ornament until about a week until we needed to return it with the gift. The requested item wasn't to be found in any of the local stores, so I needed to order it (potential arrival dates after they were due), or drive to a little farther. Because we live in Salt Lake County, there are still plenty of stores. I found the item I needed and had them set it aside for me at a Target across the valley. We met up with my sister, Cassie, to pick it up, get some more Christmas lights, and do some window shopping. Her daughter, little Miss P, is so tiny, but gets around quite well. You just want to stop what you're doing to watch her running after the cart or dancing in line.

For one of the youth activities, we decided to carol on a [extremely slow moving] trailer bed around our neighborhood. One of the young men even brought his cello to accompany us. I love singing, especially Christmas carols. Some wisdom for future caroling: make sure everyone has access to the lyrics (phone or paper/flashlight), practice the songs ahead of time, and try to have everyone sit together. It got kind of humorous when the people sitting in the truck bed were at a different part of the song than the people on the trailer. We had a lot of fun, and some of the leaders even prepared hot chocolate for us. I remember when I served as a full-time missionary in Ohio thinking that Christmas was such a special time, when people are more willing to help others and talk about the Savior. I love the spirit that comes when we sing about the nativity together.














Sister Wahlberg gave each of the 
very excited kids some sleigh bells.







Using wrapped presents as a desk 
before Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment