Family Posts

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shoe Carnival

I am a carny.  For the past two years I've worked at Shoe Carnival, and my closet shows it.  It's hard for me to resist a great pair of clearance shoes when I get an additional discount.  Do I really need this pair?

Trying on the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" kids' Nikes
 Like any job, some days are hectic and stressful, but other days are very rewarding.  I have great co-workers, although the turnover rate has been a little high, and I love helping a customer find exactly what they need and want, especially if we're running a special deal.  Making announcements over the microphone allows me to be a little dramatic at times.
Yesterday I added security tags to our men's Converse shoes for a couple of hours, and then helped a young man who wanted to get my opinion on whether or not his wife might like some of our clearance dress shoes.  With a size 14, he has a hard time finding shoes in his size in stock, so he just raved about us having larger sizes.  I guess he does have a shoe fetish, because in addition to the two pairs he bought, he ordered two more to be fed-exed before he leaves Saturday to sell security systems.  You can tell he has experience with people, because he made everyone in the store feel good.  A few people I know came into the store, and several people signed up for our points program (not a credit card).  We have a daily goal, and weren't sure if we'd make it, because we'd been close but kind of slow all day.  The last hour we were open everybody came up, and got lots of shoes, so we made our goal!   
Days like this make me realize how important positive interactions can be between people, even when they're strangers.  There's such a wonderful feeling that comes when talking to people, showing a real interest, and receiving it in return.  We need people.  Also, I love Husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment