Family Posts

Friday, April 22, 2011

Storm Chasers



Zak and I got a mattress set a little while ago, but we didn’t have a bedframe.  I decided the time had come to find one.  Walmart* only had bunk beds, the thrift store’s new frames were $59.00, so I turned to ksl.com.  One queen steel bed frame was listed at $10, so I waited a few hours until I could tactfully call and snagged it.  Zak and I drove across the mountains to the small town of Plymouth to get it.  On the way an official National Weather Service storm warning interrupted the radio.  Just after we packed the frame into our 4Runner “Beefy,” the hail pelted on us.  Storm Chasers!  I’ve obviously watched “Twister” too many times.  Driving through the green patchwork fields and mountains, with thunder and lightning booming and blasting around us, was so beautiful.  Colors are so saturated and details so crisp in the springtime, especially with new contacts.  In Ohio and Kentucky, I worried a little more about storm warnings, because they get real tornadoes, and we have protective mountains in Utah.  Although, as I've been repeating the warning from my 5th grade teacher who explained that Utah was way over for a major earthquake, which would happen within 50 years, we now have only 39 years of the countdown, so watch your back.
I completed the sixth and final computer literacy test, attended and wrote a feelings paper about “Fiddler on the Roof,” and nearly completed my textiles project.  Boy is it hard to sit in a elegant theatre balcony and hold silently still while the actors belt out “If I Were a Rich Man” and “Matchmaker, Matchmaker.”  For the project I had to create a family situation and choose a location and proper textiles for window treatments, bedding, upholstery, and carpeting.  I played around on behr.com and CS5’s photoshop, but sometimes I get way too impatient when selecting shapes.  I need to finish writing up the details of the project, attend about four more class periods, and do one in-class assignment, and I will graduate with my bachelor’s degree!

My uncle Scott, who has the strongest arms of anyone I know, was in a Special Needs church sponsored play.  He played the glow-in-the-dark starfish this year.  My cousin’s son is at the age where he knows what’s going on now, so he tries to participate.  He cheered, clapped, and shouted for those amazing people the whole time.  Our other cousin recently married a beautiful woman, who is actually related to one of my school friends, so now we're kind of related.  Welcome to the family, Meira.

No comments:

Post a Comment